Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Goodbye Ritz Spa Voucher

In December 2009, I was given a gift from one of our clients at work who had purchased some property on island using our law firm. I did A LOT of personal admin for this wealthy client and his family (setting up bank accounts/setting up all utilities/co-ordinating import of two vehicles etc. etc.) and continued to manage the accounts until they came back to Cayman for their holidays.  I was surprisingly rewarded with an EXTREMELY generous gift card for the Silver Rain Spa at The Ritz! When I went to pick up the card I was wondering what amount would be on it.... would it be as much as US$200??? JP said that it would probably be around US$500, which I thought was Ridiculous. Well, there was US$2000.00 on the card! Yes, I cried. That is about R17,000. I often measure the value of things in "Dinkums".

Dinkum


Dinkum was the name of my first car which I saved up for about 2.5 years to buy while studying and working three part time jobs. 
My voucher was worth almost THREE DINKUMS!



OK, so it was A HUGE AMOUNT of money, which was great as The Ritz is the most expensive Spa on island. A one hour sports massage at The Ritz costs US$200 plus they automatically add on a 20% service charge to all items (US$240... a third of a Dinkum). You can get an hour sports massage for around US$85 at other places on island. But the Ritz, of course, has some wonderful extras =) 
Entrance
Changing Room

You can make use of the facilities (sauna, steamroom, jacuzzi) as well as the relaxation lounge for as long as you like, even if you're just going for a manicure. In the relaxation lounge, it feels as though you've been transported into a fluffy white room from the future with lovely relaxing music playing, numerous comfy spaces to sit/lie down and enjoy the peace and quiet... and just relax. On top of that you get served drinks and snacks (tea / juice / coffee / champagne (for special occasions), cookies/fruit/nuts etc) and a shoulder warmer. 
I used the majority of my voucher when my mom was visiting. We each had a mani, pedi and a massage. I then went about three times over the next year, treating a friend each time to a mani or pedi, and went on my own for a pedi once or twice too. 
Yesterday I used up the final bit of credit on my gift voucher on a pedicure (US$120 with tip - that's the cheaper one). Yes, the voucher lasted just over two years and it was Bliss.
I made a friend from my numerous visits too =) A lovely girl from Kenya, Esther (Wairimu). She studies part time at ICCI and then works as a Ritz Spa Therapist. I always requested her so that we could have a catch up every 5 months or so! I will miss her and we will have to schedule some coffee dates so that we can keep in touch and connected while we're both still on island =)
Wairimu and I



6 comments:

  1. Esther Wairimu GachihiMay 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM

    "It is always lovely to have you, your mum and friends at the SPA... a big thanks to you! looking forward to seeing you again.. Thank you for the blog! Making me a lil bit famous :) love it!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you liked it!
      Thank YOU for always making me, my hands and my feet so happy!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is my kind of post! Who doesn't love a visit to the Ritz. So glad you got the chance to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For your birthday next year we should get a bunch of girls together to go for a treat and enjoy the Ritz Spa facilities!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah, I was VERY spoilt! Talk about extravagant gifts!!

      Delete