![]() |
| Mielie |
Our trusty steed, Mielie (which means "corn" in Afrikaans) has seen her last highway and needs to be replaced. Apart from a broken odometer (which has been stuck at 79miles for last 3 years) and more recently, the absence of a back brake, she really did make our lives so much easier. Having two vehicles is such a pleasure as we don't have to play taxi with each other. When we first got Mielie, I used her all the time as I worked from 10am til 3pm and wouldn't have to drive in too much traffic. JP and I had plenty of fun rides together on Mielie, it was great when going to a busy function and getting a good parking spot right at the entrance. The manual stated that it can carry two people...but then it said that the maximum weight was 88kgs (195 lbs)! Hahahaha... yeah RIGHT! It is a Japanese brand so I assume that in Japan two people's combined weight can quite realistically be under 200 lbs. I stopped scootering about when I fell pregnant and JP has been using Mielie ever since and loves overtaking all the traffic on the way to work!
| Mielie |
The main issue I had with Mielie was that her maximum speed was 45km/h (28mph) {about 38km/h (23mph) with two passengers} and we would often ride in 65km/h (40mph) speed zones and would have frustrated cars behind trying to overtake and make us have to pull over to the side to let them by....very dangerous! So when considering a replacement I asked JP if we could get an upgrade from a 50cc to a 125cc so that we could at least go as fast as the traffic in the 65km/h zones.
We went to have a look at some scooters yesterday and we're going to go for the white Vespa! It's a 125cc and will have no problems keeping up with the maximum speed limit =) We still haven't named it, so PLEASE send me some suggestions? I like WitBlitz, but JP isn't too keen on that name. I welcome any others!
| Our New Scooter - The White Vespa |
![]() |
| Super Scooter Dog |
Oh My Gosh - There is a guy on island who drives around with his dog on the back of the scooter.... Now I'm not talking about a teeny tiny miniature maltese poodle secure in a box on the back of the scooter, not in the slightest!! This dog is a decent medium sized dog and he stands on a little square platform on the back of the scooter!!! It is an AMAZING sight to behold, especially when the two of them drive around a roundabout!! The dog is standing up and leaning into the turn with his owner! I seriously need to try and catch it on video! This is a photo of the dog patiently waiting for it's owner outside AL Thompson, one of the hardware stores on island.


Oh my word, I remember seeing that dog on the scooter turning the corner, it was amazing!
ReplyDelete