After almost 9 months of going it alone, JP said that I should get a nanny to help me out once a week and give me a little well deserved break.
The first feeling that came over me was that of sheer excitement and joy!! Would I really get a day off from looking after Jodi? She is such a happy little lass and a breeze to look after. She can also play on her own very well while I get about packing the dishwasher or getting the laundry done... then the feeling of guilt came over me...
Would this mean that I have failed as a mom cos I needed a break? Why was I feeling excited about a few hours away from Jodi and the idea of getting help when I'm a stay-at-home mom and don't even work!? What would other friends on island think who were in the same boat as me, going it alone?! (JP looked at me with 'the look" when I mentioned this one to him.... yes... my ego. Gotta let go of that one). Am I a lazy mom?! The more I thought about it the more I was convinced that it wasn't a good idea, I started to convince myself that I didn't deserve to have a day off. I was thinking that the reasons for me getting help weren't good enough: It's not like we have a daughter who is exhausting to look after; it's not like there are three kids for me to look after; I don't have other work to do; I'm not physically exhausted and at the end of my tether! I feel fine! I feel so happy and blessed with my life!
JP very promptly set my thinking straight again by reminding me that my job of staying at home with Jodi is more important than any salary earning job out there and that normally people have family around to help out... free babysitting courtesy of granny (or grannies!!). He said that me getting someone to help out once a week would be a good time for me to just relax and do things I can't do easily with Jodi. We were getting someone from a cleaning service once a week to do general housecleaning (bathrooms, mopping, dusting etc)... why not get a nanny instead, who could look after Jodi AND do some cleaning / ironing while Jodi naps? I was quickly convinced to let go of the guilt and embrace this fantastic idea!!
My good friend on island, Tracy, has a fantabulous nanny who has recommended a friend of hers, Angie. We'll see where this goes =)
Everyone should be able to decide what works best for their own family. Goal #1: Remain sane! :)
ReplyDeleteI love that!! hahaha, Thanks Jenn =)
ReplyDeleteI feel VERY sane now that I have our wonderful nanny, Angie, twice a week!