Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gingerbread Houses

One of our Christmas traditions on island has been to build gingerbread houses with our home group. Our friends, Jonathan and Michelle Rosa, started this back in December 2008. It is such great fun to get together with Graham Crackers (we use these instead of gingerbread), icing, yummy treats and great friends and have a Gingerbread House building competition! 2008 was our very first time ever attempting to build one and JP and I thought that we did pretty well, but this year we decided to go for a Gingerbread train! It turned out pretty cool if I don't say so myself =)
Our Gingerbread Train
2010 Gingerbread Houses
JP and I haven't actually won yet.... I am hoping that by our 4th or 5th year of building we might win at least a 2nd place!
Nap time for Jodi... it was hard work!

Here are some photos from the previous two years
December 2008 - first ever attempt
2008 Gingerbread Houses and Happy Builders (JP didn't get the memo)
JP and I were just happy that ours was standing by the time we were done! and of course we enjoyed picking off sweeties and choccies for days afterwards!
In 2009, we made a marked improvement on the structural base and framework of our gingerbread house and it was solid as a rock! There were seven houses in total and I have attached photos of them all, the competition was tough... with the exception of Wes and Marius' house which was apparently hit by a hurricane mid build?!
Our House (with JP parking the car in the driveway)






 
 
2009 Gingerbread Houses and Crazy Builders

My favourite in 2009 was the Fourie's! Marnus and Madel built a South African style house.... or more of a shack... outhouse, bicycle, electricity cables, wheelbarrow and all!! I'd better start on some blueprints for next year to get that evasive first place!

1 comment: