Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fun at School

Random fun-filled school day



Fridge Art




International day
Kids were allowed to dress in an outfit representing their country. Jodi wore a little pink dress made in SA (by Baobab Co.) with a giraffe on it. She also learned which animals were part of the big 5 so that she could tell her classmates (a giraffe not being one of them!).

Countries represented in Jodi's class: 
Canada (majority, includes Jodi's teacher, Ms Anna)
New Zealand
South Africa
Argentina
Australia
Jamaica (including Jodi's assistant teacher, Ms Althea)
Ireland

I'm not actually sure how many of the kids were actually 
born in the countries they are representing! 
Like Jodi, I'm sure a lot of them were born here in Cayman. 
You don't get Caymanian status / citizenship if you're born here, 
so you end up with your parent's nationality.



Halloween

Jodi and her classmates were allowed to wear 
their Halloween costumes to school today.


Check out Jodi's legendary teacher! Shark with digestive issues.



I helped out with pumpkin carving. 
Please note that I had never carved a pumpkin before in my life. 
The only logical thing to do was to google "how to carve a pumpkin" and I
found a cool video of someone using cookie cutters and a mallet. 
So what did I do? I took some heart shaped cookie cutters 
and a mallet with me to school. 

It actually turned out great because the kids loved pounding with the 
mallet and wouldn't have been allowed to use the carving knives to 
carve anyway, they would have to watch. (it was super quick too!)
Their crucial role (apart from hammering away) was to empty 
the guts of the pumpkin out before we started on the "carving", but none 
of the kids in my group were keen to stick their perfectly sized hands in to 
remove the pumpkin brains... so I had to.




1 comment:

  1. Love the Princess outfit. Your "love pumpkin" looks great. x x x

    ReplyDelete